Follow me on Twitter: JohanFourieZA
Email: [protected email address]
Phone: +27 (0)21 808 3590
Private Bag X1, Matieland, 7602
- Fiscal policy under Company rule (with Ada Jansen and Krige Siebrits)
- Settler skills and colonial development (with Dieter von Fintel)
- Numeracy in the eighteenth century Cape Colony (with Jörg Baten)
Academic papers, chapters in books and books published:
- Fourie, J., Ross, R. and Viljoen, R. 2013. Literacy at South African mission stations. Journal of Southern African Studies. Forthcoming.
- Fourie, J. and Van Zanden, J.-L. 2013. GDP in the Dutch Cape Colony: the national accounts of a slave-based society. South African Journal of Economics. Forthcoming.
- Fourie, J. and Santana-Gallego, M. 2013. Ethnic reunion and cultural affinity. Tourism Management. Vol 36, 411-420.
- Fourie, J. and Santana-Gallego, M. 2013. The determinants of African tourism. Development Southern Africa. Forthcoming.
- Fourie, J. 2013. Slaves as capital investment in the Dutch Cape Colony, 1652-1795. Chapter in: Svensson, P. & Hillbom, E. (Eds.) Agricultural transformation in global history perspective. Routledge.
- Fourie, J. 2013. The remarkable wealth of the Dutch Cape Colony: measurements from eighteenth-century probate inventories. The Economic History Review. 66(2): 419-448.
- Cilliers, J. and Fourie, J. 2012. New estimates of settler life span and other demographic estimates from South Africa, 1652-1948. Econonomic History of Developing Regions. Vol 27(2): 61-86. Available here.
- Fourie, J. and Schirmer, S. 2012. The Future of South African Economic History. Economic History of Developing Regions. Vol 27(1): 114-124. Working Paper.
- Fourie, J. 2012. Die relatiewe welvaart van die vroeë Kaapse setlaars. Litnet Akademies 9(2): 442-467. Available here.
- Fourie, J. and Uys, J. 2012. Luxury product consumption in eighteenth-century Cape Colony households. Tijdschrift voor Sociale en Economische Geschiedenis 9(2): 29-60.
- Du Toit, L. and Fourie, J. 2012. Africa’s comparative advantage in tourism. Studies in Economics and Econometrics. Vol. 36(1): 1-22.
- Fourie, J. and Von Fintel, D. 2012. "The Fruit of the Vine: An augmented endowments-inequality hypothesis and the Rise of an Elite in the Cape Colony" in Amsden, A., Robinson, J. and DiCaprio, A. The Role of Elites in Development. WIDER series on Economic Development. Oxford University Press. Working Paper version.
- Fourie, J. and Von Fintel, D. 2011. 'n Ongelyke Oes. Tydskrif vir Geesteswetenskappe. Vol. 51(3): 332-353.
- Fourie, J. 2011. Travel service exports as comparative advantage in South Africa. South African Journal of Economic and Management Sciences. Vol 14(2): 210-228. Full article available here.
- Fourie, J., Siebrits, K. and Spronk, K. 2011. Tourist displacement in two South African sport mega-events. Development Southern Africa. Vol 28(3): 319-332.
- Fourie, J. and Santana-Gallego, M. 2011. The impact of mega-events on tourist arrivals. Tourism Management. Vol 32(6): 1364-1370. Working Paper.
- Fourie, J. and Von Fintel, J. 2011. A History with Evidence: Income inequality in Dutch South Africa. Economic History of Developing Regions 26(1): 16-48. Working Paper.
- Fourie, J. and Spronk, K. 2011. South African mega-sports events and their impact on tourism. Journal of Sport & Tourism 16(1), 75-97.
- Du Plessis, E. and Fourie, J. 2011. Higher education exports in South Africa: A case study of Stellenbosch University. South African Journal of Higher Education 24(3).
- Schirmer, S., L. Chaudhary, M. Cosgel, J-L. Demonsant, J. Fourie, E. Frankema, G. Garzarelli, J. Luiz, M. Mariotti, G. Verhoef, S. Yan. 2010. The State and Scope of the Economic History of Developing Regions. Economic History of Developing Regions 25(1): 3-20. Working paper. Full paper.
- Boshoff, W. and Fourie, J. 2010. The significance of the Cape trade route to economic activity in the Cape Colony: a Medium-term business cycle analysis. European Review of Economic History 14(3): 469-503 Print Version
- Fourie, J. and Santana-Gallego, M. "Measuring the gains from currency union membership in Southern Africa" tralac Yearbook 2010. tralac: Stellenbosch Working Paper version
- Calitz, E. and Fourie, J. 2010. "Infrastructure in South Africa: who is to finance and who is to pay?" Development Southern Africa 27(2): 177-191. Paper available here. Working paper version.
- Fourie, J. and Von Fintel, D. 2010. "The dynamics of inequality in a newly settled, pre-industrial society" Cliometrica 4(3): 229-267. Online edition.
- Siebrits, K. and Fourie, J. 2009. "An application of attractiveness measures to evaluate the structure of the Currie Cup" South African Journal for Research in Sport, Physical Education and Recreation. Working paper version
- Fourie, J. 2008. “A note on infrastructure quality in South Africa”. Development Southern Africa. Vol. 25: 4, October. Working paper version
- Boshoff, W. and Fourie, J. 2008. “Explaining the Fluctuations in Shipping Traffic to the Cape Settlement, 1652-1793”. South African Journal of Economic History. Vol. 23: (1,2), pp. 1-27.
- McCarthy, C., Kruger, P. and Fourie, J. 2007. Benchmarking EPA negotiations between EU and SADC. tralac Working Paper. July. Working paper.
- Fourie, J. 2007. “The South African poor white problem in the early twentieth century: Lessons for poverty today”. Management Decision. Vol. 45: 8, pp. 1270-1296. Working paper version
- Fourie, J. 2006. “Economic Infrastructure in South Africa: Definitions, Theory and Empirics”. South African Journal of Economics: Vol. 74: 3, pp. 422-441.