Rulof P. Burger
D.Phil (Oxon), M.Phil (Cantab), M.Comm (Stell)
Address: Room 511, Economics Department, CGW Schumann building, Stellenbosch
Phone: +27 (0)21 808 2328
Email: rulof @sun.ac.za
Research interests: Micro-econometrics, Labour Economics, Microeconomics, Development Economics
- Graduate Econometrics (Programme evaluation, Nonparamtric estimation, Panel data, Limited dependent variables, Structural estimation)
- Graduate Microeconomics (Game theory, Behavioural Economics)
- Graduate Macroeconomics (Growth theory)
- Graduate Mathematical Economics
- Graduate & undergraduate Labour Economics
- Graduate & undergraduate Development Economics.
Burger, R.P. & Teal, F.J. (2015). The effect of schooling on worker productivity: Evidence from a South African industry panel. Journal of African Economies 24(5): 629-644.
Burger, R. P., Van der Berg, S. & Von Fintel, D. (2015). The unintended consequences of education policies on South African participation and unemployment. South African Journal of Economics 83(1): 74-100.
Burger, R. P. & Von Fintel, D. (2014). Rising unemployment in a growing economy: a business cycle, generational and life-cycle perspective of post-transition South Africa’s labour market. Studies in Economic and Econometrics 38(1): 35-64.
Burger, R. P., & Du Plessis, S. (2013). A New Keynesian Phillips curve for South Africa. In P. Schaeffer & E. Kouassi (Eds.), Econometric methods for analyzing economic development (pp. 30-48). Hershey, Pa.: IGI Global.
Burger, R. P., Burger, R., & Rossouw, L. (2012). The fertility transition in South Africa: A retrospective panel data analysis. Development Southern Africa, 29(5), 738-755.
Burger, R. P., & Jafta, R. C. C. (2012). Affirmative action in South Africa: an empirical assessment of the impact on labour market outcomes. In G. Brown, A. Langer & F. Stewart (Eds.), Affirmative action in plural societies (pp. 80-99). Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave (Conflict, Inequality and Ethnicity).
Black, P., Jafta, R. C. C., & Burger, R. P. (2010). Black economic empowerment. In S. Jones & R. W. Vivian (Eds.), South Africa: Economy and policy 1990-2000 (pp. 494-513). Manchester: Manchester University Press.
Von Fintel, D. P., & Burger, R. P. (2009). The South African labour market in the global financial crisis: recovering lost gains. In J. Hofmeyer (Ed.), Economic Transformation Audit 2009: Recession and recovery (pp. 34-42). Cape Town: African Minds / IJR.
Burger, R., Burger, R. P., & Du Plessis, S. (2007). Assessing NEPAD as a growth strategy: A Bayesian Averaging of Classical Estimates approach to examining the robustness of competing explanations of slow growth in African countries. In S. H. Boko & D. Seck (Eds.), NEPAD and the future of economic policy in Africa. Trenton, NJ: Africa World Press.
Burger, R. P., & Yu, D. (2006). Wage trends in post-apartheid South Africa: Constructing an earnings series for South Africa from household survey data. Labour Market Frontiers, 8, 1-8.
Burger, R. P. (2005). Labour market and employment: No gains yet for Africans from lower unemployment. In S. Brown (Ed.), Economic Transformation Audit 2005: Conflict and governance. Cape Town: UCT Press.
Burger, R.P., & De Villiers, P. (2005). The Macroeconomic impact of HIV/AIDS in South Africa: A supply-side analysis. Journal for Studies in Economics and Econometrics, 29, 1-14.
Burger, R. P., & Woolard, I. (2005). The state of the labour market in South Africa after the first decade of democracy. Journal of Vocational Education and Training, 57(4), 453-476.
Burger, R. P. (2004). Changing dynamics of employment and unemployment: What drives the South African labour market? In S. Brown & A. Fölscher (Eds.), Economic Transformation Audit 2004: Taking power in the economy. Cape Town: UCT Press.
PAPERS UNDER REVIEW
- Burger, R. P. & McLaren, Z., An Econometric Method for Estimating Population Parameters from Non-Random Samples (revise and resubmit with Health Economics)
- Burger, R. P., Coetzee, L.C., Kreuser, C.F., Rankin, N.A., Income and price elasticities of demand in South Africa: An application of the linear expenditure system. (Revise and resubmit with South African Journal of Economics.)
- Burger, R. P., Klasen, S. & Zoch, A. Estimating income mobility when income is measured with error: the case of South Africa.
- Burger, R. P. & Makaluza, N. Job-seeker entry into the two-tiered informal sector in South Africa
WORKS IN PROGRESS
- Abel M, Burger R, Piraino P. The Value of Reference Letters - Experimental Evidence from South Africa.
- Abel M, Burger R, Carranza E, Piraino P. The effect of plan-making prompts on job search and employment.
- Burger, R., Burger, R. P. & Smith, A, Estimating the influence of universal coverage on health seeking behaviour.
- Burger, R.P., Fourie, J., Cilliers, J. Intergenerational mobility estimates in the presence of measurement error.
- Burger, R.P., Piraino, P. & Zoch, A. Self-reported reservation wages in high-unemployment contexts
- Burger, R. P. & Kreuser, C.F., Unequal partners: the determinants and consequences of intra-household inequality in South Africa.
- Burger, R.P. & Teal, F.J. Endogeneity, heterogeneity and sample selection: Estimating the shape of the schooling-earnings profile in the South African labour market.
- Yu, D., Burger, R.P. & Rankin, N. South African employment trends: How reliable are the different data sources.
UNPUBLISHED WORKING PAPERS
- Van der Berg, S., & Burger, R. P. (2010). Teacher pay in South Africa. Stellenbosch University, Department of Economics.
- Van der Berg, S., Burger, R., Burger, R. P., Louw, M., & Yu, D. (2006). Trends in poverty and inequality since the political transition. Stellenbosch Working Paper 10/2006. Stellenbosch University, Department of Economics.
- Burger, R. P, & Jafta, R. C. C., (2006). Returns to race: Labour market discrimination in post-apartheid South Africa. Stellenbosch Working Paper 04/2006. Stellenbosch University, Department of Economics.
- Burger, R. P., Burger, R., & Van der Berg, S. (2004). Emergent black affluence and social mobility. DPRU Working Paper 04/87.
- Van der Berg, S., Burger, R. P., Leibbrandt, M., & Mlatsheni, C. (2002). Migration and the changing rural-urban interface in South Africa: What can we learn from census and survey data? Paper presented at the CSAE Conference, Oxford, UK.